Project 365
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4

Pages

Welcome

to my project. I found myself in a bit of a rut in my photography and neglecting to take photos of my own children (the cobbler's children without shoes syndrome). So while taking maternity leave this year, I decided to stretch myself and take time to document my own family. Enjoy the journey with me...

Monday, January 11, 2010

Sabbath

You may have noticed I didn't post yesterday (of course, "you" being my readers may only be my husband, in which case you already know why I didn't post yesterday). I'll imagine for the moment that more people read my blog besides my husband, and tell you that not posting yesterday was deliberate, not just being a slacker. ;)

Last year I read a great book called breathe. The author emphasizes the importance of a sabbath in our hectic lives. Not necessarily a sabbath in the same respect as how it was practiced in biblical times (as in not breaking the heads off wheat stalks because it's illegal), but taking time off once a week from busyness to do something you enjoy. I really worked at implementing that in my life last year, and for me work = computer, so I didn't use the computer on Sundays. Until my busy season hit, and then when I needed the break the most, I didn't take it.

Fast forward to December...I vowed to take time off of professional photography with this baby, to just be a mom, and spending four days in the hospital with no computer access was surprisingly refreshing. So one of my resolutions this year (I typically make goals rather than resolutions, but this really is more of a resolution than goal) is to go "unplugged" on Sundays. No computer. And yesterday was my first day. Instead of getting online to check email, which inevitably leads to facebook, blogs, and forums (and before I know it, my evening is gone and I wonder why I'm so tired with a newborn at home!!), I did this...



...started knitting a hat for my husband. Whatever your "sabbath" is - take a break at some point this week. Put work aside and give yourself time to breathe...

2 comments:

sherri said...

Well, you don't have to imagine...because I did drop by to see if you posted. I love your idea, and would love to read that book, too. And I have some knitting questions again, so we need to chat. ;)

Ellen said...

Can't wait - and you can borrow the book if you'd like :)

Post a Comment