Project 365
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4

Pages

Welcome

to my project. I found myself in a bit of a rut in my photography and neglecting to take photos of my own children (the cobbler's children without shoes syndrome). So while taking maternity leave this year, I decided to stretch myself and take time to document my own family. Enjoy the journey with me...

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Winter Blues



Two sick kids now, and a pretty blistery winter day. I welcome a colder winter, since it seems like we get so little, but we're getting some cabin fever. And I admit that when my kids are sick I'm much more lenient about video time, so it seems we've been watching Elmo quite a bit lately. This morning I decided if we couldn't venture out, we'd do something productive inside. Coloring books, pizza game, and a fun art project followed.

My friend Michele gave us a winter fun tub for Christmas with thirteen activities (and directions) wrapped up and ready to go, and it has come in pretty handy! I thought I'd share here in case anyone else needs some ideas...

1. Aprons - let your kids decorate their own aprons to use when you make cookies or do messy art activities.

2. Tissue Paper Wall Hangings - paper, strips of tissue paper and string: have your kids crumple the tissue paper and then glue it on to a design you (or they) drew on the paper. Punch holes and hang with string. We did a Hungry Caterpillar theme. ;)

3. Bank - get craft boxes and have kids paint their "bank." Cut a hole in the top and have them do chores for change.

4. Sidewalk Chalk Games - besides drawing on the sidewalk, they can color circles and hop from circle to circle (or pick colors for them to hop to), or trace an outline of their shadow and watch it move throughout the day. For snowy days like today, you could also use the sidewalk chalk on construction paper...

5. Paint and Hide Rocks - paint their rocks and take turns hiding their rock for the other to find.

6. Photo Blocks/Puzzle - create a puzzle by cutting a large photo into squares and gluing them to wooden blocks.

7. Water Music - fill glasses with various amounts of water and take turns hitting them with chopsticks to make different sounds. You can have a concert!

8. Paper Chains - strips of various colored paper: glue each piece of paper into a circle, linking them as you go (they can draw on the strips as you glue). Decorate their rooms with the paper chains.

9. Jingle Bell Shakers - paper plates, bells and strings: glue the plates together, then poke holes and attach bells. Have a concert singing your favorite songs!

10. Face Paint

11. Puppets - Martha Stewart has puppet kits at Michael's, but you can make your own using paper bags, socks - just about anything!

12. Felt Frames - another Martha Stewart kit, but popsicle stick frames would be fun too.

13. Sea Scapes - put shells, rocks and sand in a water bottle, fill about 3/4 way with water, and add 1 tsp. baby oil.

Thanks, Michele - you're a lifesaver!! ivillage has a few more ideas for fighting cabin fever. What do you do when you're stuck indoors?

1 comment:

thetoddlerwhisperer said...

FABULOUS!!! I always start feeling like a bad mommy when we get in that rut...with cabin fever...so some great ideas to use!!

Post a Comment